Cemetery 146 - Paddys Gully

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Paddys Gully

Paddys Gully Road,

Backwater

NSW

2350

-30.078247

151.922821

The information for these burials has been provided by Mrs Dorothy Griffey who visited the cemetery and transcribed the inscriptions in 1987. She says that the stones had badly deteriorated when she saw them and only a few were readable.

More recently, additional information on this Cemetery has been supplied by Heather Burke. The data was collected for the "Cemeteries/Burials New England Project (2000)" initiated by Professor Iain Davidson and funded by a Research Infrastructure Block Grant, University of New England. The data was collected with the assistance of Arnold Goode (Uralla), Helen Nancarrow and Bruce Cady (Kelly's Plains), Nan Mullen (Wollomombi), Peter Chambers (Saumarez Ponds), David and Beverley Barratt (Tamworth).

Keith Paull has passed on the following information relating to the the early days of this area that he gleaned from the book "Our Grandchildren Won't Believe It" (Compiled by Wongwibinda, Aberfoyle and Ward's Mistake Historical Research Group Armidale NSW, 2004)

Richard Newby and his wife arrived in Grafton in 1848 and travelled inland to Glen Innes, then on to Moredun Station at Ben Lomond where Richard worked for Andrew Wauchope as a shepherd. Later, in 1858, he took up a large area of 45,000 acres known as Paddy's Land Station which was transferred from Rundle Dangar and Co. This is where he learned about cattle. Legend has it that they encountered an aborigine, known as Paddy, whom they learned to know and respect. He showed them the spot where they later built their home, hence the name Paddy's Land. At times over two hundred aborigines camped on the station. While living at Paddy's Land the Newbys lost two children to diphtheria as well as others buried there.

Two isolated burials at Paddys Land, some distance from Paddys Gully Cemetery, have been included on this list. Details may be viewed on the list of inscriptions for this cemetery.

Jenny Croaker photographed the three remaining graves in the cemetery in Oct 2014.

The cemetery is on the southern side of Paddys Gully Road, 4.4km from Backwater and on the corner of Deans Road. Lat -30.07797 Long 151.922893.

Whether or not the cemetery reserve is the responsibility of any authority could not be determined. It is located within the boundary of the Guyra Shire Council.

13 Sep 2012

31 Dec 2000

9

3

1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index