Cemetery 126 - Pilliga

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Pilliga

Lagoon Street,

Pilliga

NSW

2388

-30.357952

148.888123

Pilliga Cemetery site is quite large and is divided into portions that are all marked. One small portion is labelled "Indian" and contains the graves of Indian hawkers who operated in that district in earlier years. When we visited the cemetery, it was in need of mowing and long grass made it difficult to photograph some of the inscriptions. There is ample parking space and several shade trees but no other facilities.

Monuments date from 1886. The stones or tablets are mostly marble and granite and, generally, are in good order with very few fallen. A group of about a dozen monuments in the Anglican portion were in process of construction and so the graves were temporarily unmarked. It is hoped to include these at a later date.

We visited the cemetery on 2 Mar 2006 and made notes and digital images of all visible inscriptions. In compiling the list of inscriptions, we also consulted the NSW indexes of births, deaths and marriages and the Nominal Rolls for World War 1 and World War 2 for further information.

From the main road through Pilliga township, turn beside the school into Lagoon Street (Coonamble Road). The cemetery is about 300m from the intersection on the left hand side of the road.

The cemetery is administered and maintained by the Narrabri Shire Council. Contact Council at PO Box 261, Narrabri NSW 2390; phone: 02 6799 6866; email: council@narrabri.nsw.gov.au

www.narrabri.nsw.gov.au/

20 Mar 2006

2 Mar 2006

343

342

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index