Cemetery 1182 - Bungendore General

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Bungendore General

Osborne St

Bungendore

NSW

2621

-35.259611

149.453182

Bungendore General Cemetery is an active graveyard with an old monumental section and more recent rose garden and lawn cemetery areas. It is well maintained but as with cemeteries of this age, the older monuments are in various states of decay and legibility. There are numerous unmarked graves.

Bungendore formed in the 1830s as a coach staging post on the junction of roads east between Goulburn and Braidwood and the coast, and south to Queanbeyan and the Monaro. The population of the settlement remained small, being around 35 in the 1840s and growing to approximately 200 by the 1860s. The coming of the railway in 1885 stimulated town growth during its construction. The town faltered as roads were re-routed and local agricultural and mining practices faltered. This has meant many of the town’s old buildings have survived. Renewed town growth in recent years has occurred with the development of dormitory housing for Canberra and Queanbeyan.

The original 2 ha (5 acres) cemetery was laid out in May 1849 with General, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, Anglican and Roman Catholic portions of equal size. By 1900 the General and Wesleyan portions had been subdivided into smaller General, Methodist, Anglican and Roman Catholic portions. By 1991 half of the original Presbyterian and the later smaller subdivisions were resurveyed as a general lawn cemetery. The portions are no longer signed.

The cemetery is located on the eastern boundary of the town with access from Osborne Street which runs of Malbon Street (Kings Highway).

Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council

24 Jul 2018

25 May 2018

1446

924

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index