Cemetery 103 - Wellington RC Holy Family

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Wellington RC Holy Family

Renshaw McGirr Way,

Wellington

NSW

2820

-32.558990

148.933762

Once part of a property belonging to Patrick Reidy, the history of this cemetery began in 1850. It is understood that the first burial took place on this site in that year when floods prevented access to the then general cemetery. It was some years later that the land was purchased from Reidy and formally reserved as a cemetery. Originally known as St Nicholas’ Catholic Cemetery, the name was changed to Holy Family Catholic Cemetery in the 1950s. It is often popularly (but erroneously) referred to as Curra Creek Cemetery.

Memorials date from as early as 1852. Two old sandstone memorials are of the altar type but their horizontal inscriptions are now very weathered and difficult to read. Marble headstones over the graves of Irish-born settlers are carved with Irish harps and shamrocks - beautiful examples of 19th century stonemasonry. In recent years, a small lawn cemetery has been established on an unused area at the front of the site. The cemetery is fenced and well maintained with easy access to all graves. There are no amenities.

In 1973, the administration of Holy Family Catholic Cemetery passed to the Wellington Shire Council. When we last visited the cemetery in July 2004, we found it in excellent condition with the grass cut and trimmed and the grounds litter and glass free.

Jean and I originally made digital images and notes of every visible inscription in November 2002 and fully updated these in July 2004. In compiling this list, we also consulted the NSW index of births, deaths and marriages to help clarify some difficult to read names and dates and for further information. We also acknowledge with thanks the encouragement we received from the Wellington Historical Society and their kind provision of the historical details given above.

From Wellington, take the Parkes Road (Renshaw McGirr Way). The cemetery is located on the southern side of the road, next to the Wellington Showground, on the banks of Curra Creek, just 1km from the CBD.

The cemetery is now administered and maintained by the Wellington Shire Council. Contact Council at PO Box 62 Wellington NSW 2820 (email: mail@wellington.nsw.gov.au)

www.oxleymuseum.org.au/

21 Jun 2007

31 Jul 2004

563

547

1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index