Emu Plains General
Emu Plains General Cemetery sits on an undulating, triangular block bounded by Short and Nixon Streets and the main western railway line. It began as a cemetery attached to St Paul's Anglican Church in the 1850s. Later, provision was made for other denominational portions to be added. In 1967, control of the cemetery was passed to Penrith City Council.
Tania Smidt visited the site on a number of occasions during June and July 2010 and made a digital image of every visible inscription. She found inscriptions dating from 1860 to the present day. A number of the older stones has fallen and broken and there are many unmarked graves. Penrith City Council notes on its website that the early cemetery records were lost in a church rectory fire in 1929. This means, unfortunately, that it is now impossible to identify the older unmarked graves. The cemetery grounds are well fenced and maintained in excellent condition by Council.
Tania's inscriptions were compiled with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
From the Western Freeway, take the Emu Plains exit north via Russell Street for 1km, turn right into Pyramid Street, first left into Mundy Street and second right into Short Street. St Paul's Church and the cemetery is at the end of Short Street.
Penrith City Council. PO Box 60, Penrith NSW 2751; phone 02 4732 7777; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index