Cemetery 611 - Dapto West Catholic

Dapto West Catholic

West Dapto Road,

Kembla Grange

NSW

2526

-34.471610

150.794080

Dapto West Catholic Cemetery appears to have commenced as a burial site circa 1830, the earliest inscription extant being dated 1831. It comprises what is referred to as the Old Cemetery plus a more recent monumental portion and a modern lawn cemetery. The site is well fenced, set back from the road and surrounded by trees. The monuments in the old portion are generally in good condition for their age and mostly legible. The grounds are well maintained, the access lane is sealed and a generous parking area provided at the cemetery gate. A new intruder "proof" fence has been installed due to recent vandalism within the cemetery.

Wayne Hill has contributed the images he made of every visible inscription in June 2016. The inscriptions were compiled by Wayne from his images and personal research. The NSW indices of births, deaths and marriage as well as the Australian War Memorial online military rolls were consulted for additional information. Wayne also provided the following historical information.

Richard Mallon's widow, who remarried, was the donor of the land for the West Dapto Catholic cemetery. The inscription of the browned and weather beaten headstone on Mallon's, the first grave, casts some light on the origin of the cemetery. This reads: "In memory of Richard Mallon, of the N.S.W. Veteran Company. Born Armagh, 1783. Died in Dapto, April, 10th, 1831. Aged 48 years. This stone is erected by Elizabeth his wife. He was a kind and affectionate husband. May he rest in peace." Also "Elizabeth relict of the above and wife of William Cray. Died 24th June, 1855, aged 70 years. The above generously donated the ground for church and burial purposes to St. John's, West Dapto." From the inscription it would at once be inferred that this cemetery was well past its centenary. This, however, was not the original resting place of Richard Mallon, who died at Dapto o

From the Princes Highway at Kembla Grange Racecourse, turn west onto West Dapto Road from where it is 2.4km to the cemetery. Lat -34.471615 Long 150.794079

Dapto West Catholic Cemetery is within the Catholic Diocese of Wollongong. Enquiries may be directed to the Diocesan Chancery, PO Box 1239, Wollongong SCMC 2521.

www.cathchurch.net/

2016-06-30

2016-06-30

860

775

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index