Belltrees Station, east of Scone, was established by the pioneering White family and dates from 1831. This large station was once the site of a village with a school, post office and store. The chapel of St James was erected on the property in 1909 and dedicated to the memory of Francis White and his wife, Mary Hannah Brigg White.
In its grounds are a small lawn cemetery and a Boer War memorial erected to the memory of Alfred Ebsworth who was killed in that conflict in 1900. Also inscribed on the memorial are the names of others from this area who served with him in the First Australian Horse regiment. Although these men are not buried here, their names have been included in the list of inscriptions.
Joe Sharman has contributed images he made of the cemetery in April 2010. His pictures may be viewed on the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
Belltrees is a locality 37km east of Scone via Hunter Road. At Belltrees, turn right (south) onto Belltree Road for 1.1km to St James' Chapel and its cemetery. Lat -31.992008 Long 151.126986
The chapel and cemetery are on private property. Please phone the owners at 02 6546 1123 for permission to visit.
10 Apr 2010
5 Apr 2010
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index