Scone Old Catholic
Scone Old Catholic Cemetery occupies a small site behind the early Catholic Church of St Philip. It contains inscriptions dating from 1863, about three years after the church was completed, to 1920. When the new church of St Mary's was completed in 1924, St Philip's was closed and the property subsequently sold. The church building still stands in apparently good condition. It has been recently extended and is currently used as the Scone Arts and Crafts Centre.
Although many of the old monuments in the cemetery have fallen and broken, the quality of the stones and their ornamentation and engraving is quite impressive. The site is modestly fenced. The grounds had been rough mown and weeds sprayed with herbicide at the time of our survey.
Reg and Jean McDonell visited the cemetery and made digital images and notes of all visible inscriptions on 16 March 2010. We found most of the inscriptions in good condition and legible but several of the fallen and broken stones were either difficult or impossible to decipher because of erosion or pieces missing.
The list of inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled from our images and notes and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
St Philip's Catholic Cemetery is in the township on the southern side of Kingdon Street between Hill and Guernsey Streets.
It is not known who now has responsibility for the Scone Old Catholic Cemetery but initial enquiries for further information could be directed to the Catholic Diocesan Office, 841 Hunter Street, Newcastle West NSW 2302; phone 02 4979 1100.
/docs/Scone Town Memorials page 4.pdf
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index