Cemetery 279 - St George

St George

Carnarvon Highway,

St George

QLD

4487

-28.026501

148.597198

The St George General Cemetery was photographed by John Arthur in March 2007. John says that there are sections for Anglican, Catholic, Presbyterian and General but there are no signs to indicate the portions. The older part of the cemetery lies at angle to the more recent area. A lawn cemetery and a columbarium, as yet little used, have been added in recent times.

He found several inscriptions dated 1878 and 1879, which probably is indicative of the commencing date for burials at this location. There is one child's inscription dated 1866 but that was possibly added to a family grave at some later date. John found the cemetery in good order and was advised that it had recently benefited from labour provided under the prisoner release scheme.

John's images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the Queensland and NSW BDM online search facilities and to military records for additional information.

The St George Cemetery is on the Carnarvon Highway about 2.5km north of the town and 1.2km past the St George Hospital.

The St George Cemetery is administered by the Balonne Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at 118 Victoria Street (PO Box 201), St George QLD 4487; phone: 07 4630 8888.

www.balonne.qld.gov.au/

2007-11-08

2007-04-12

1422

1419

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index