760 Goodwood Road
Centennial Park Cemetery is a large, 40.5 hectare (or 100 acre) cemetery in the southern Adelaide suburb of Pasadena, located at along Goodwood Road. It is the largest cemetery in the southern suburbs and one of the largest in the Adelaide metropolitan area. It was opened in June 1936, during South Australia's centennial year, although the first burial was not until 1938, when there were only ten in that year.
It is jointly owned by the local government areas of the City of Mitcham and the City of Unley, with a Board of Management that includes two serving councillors from each council.
The cemetery contains a war graves plot known locally as Adelaide War Cemetery, established by the Australian Army in 1942, holding the graves of 215 Commonwealth service personnel of World War II primarily from local hospitals. Most of the graves are either side of the central path from the Goodwood Road entrance. In 1946 the Commonwealth War Graves Commission took over the plot and erected a Cross of Sacrifice, the first erected by the commission in the Southern Hemisphere. Near the cross is the South Australia Cremation Memorial to 9 Australian service personnel who were cremated during the same war in the state of South Australia.
In 1955, the W.A. Norman Chapel was opened and included one of the state's first crematoria (the first was opened at West Terrace Cemetery in the 1903). Since that time, the various crematoria have been upgraded and in 1983, three new cremators were constructed and considered a highly modern design at that time.
It is a large cemetery with over 240,000 burials. Famous burials include Sir Donald Bradman.
There are no headstone photographs at this stage.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index