Ben Lomond Catholic
The information on Ben Lomond Catholic Cemetery was initially supplied by Mrs Dorothy Griffey, who listed all visible inscriptions at this site in 1989.
Further data was provided by Heather Burke. That data, which includes several unmarked graves, was collected for the "Cemeteries/Burials New England Project (2000)" initiated by Professor Iain Davidson and funded by a Research Infrastructure Block Grant, University of New England. The data was collected with the assistance of Arnold Goode (Uralla), Helen Nancarrow and Bruce Cady (Kelly's Plains), Nan Mullen (Wollomombi), Peter Chambers (Saumarez Ponds), David and Beverley Barratt (Tamworth).
The foundation stone of the present St Patrick's Church was laid on 4 March 1928 but research by David Billington, who runs the Cathchurch website (see URL below), has revealed that there was a church at this site at least as early as 1887. Inscriptions in the cemetery date from 1896. The images on this page have been kindly provided by David Billington.
In September 2007, Denis Woolaston photographed all of the inscriptions in the cemetery. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list has been compiled with reference to the NSW BDM indexes for additional information.
From Guyra, take the New England Highway north towards Glen Innes for 15km. The Ben Lomond turn off is just past the village of Llangothlin, from where it is 13km to Ben Lomond. The cemetery is in the grounds of St Patrick's Catholic Church.
Ben Lomond is within the Catholic Diocese of Armidale. Enquiries should be directed to the Chancery Office, PO Box 93 Armidale 2350 (128 Dangar St); phone: 6772 8311
28 Oct 2007
31 Dec 1989
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index