Reid Anglican Church
45 Constitution Avenue
Cemetery was established 1844 in association with the building of the Saint John the Baptist Anglican Church (church and graveyard consecrated 1845). The graveyard is the original <b>Canberra cemetery</b> and many district pioneers are interred here.
From 1936 the graveyard was closed to all but those with existing rights and several exceptions, such as the burial of the Governor General Viscount Dunrossil in 1961 and deaths of incumbent rectors and their spouses.A number of columbaria have been established since 1962 with over 540 interments (as of 2014).
The churchyard is well researched and documented by Jean Salisbury. Her St John's Churchyard Canberra 1844-2010 contains detailed information about all graves, marked and unmarked and the columbaria to 2010.
The grounds are well maintained. Graves are in generally good condition though the usual weathering has taken its toll on more vulnerable materials. Vandalism has occurred but repairs have been made. In 2010 thirty headstones were added to previously unmarked graves with the aid of a Federal Government grant.
Photographed and transcribed by Roger Garland in early 2014.
Bordered by Constitution Av, Anzac Park, Amaroo St. The churchyard can be entered on foot from Anzac Park West through the eastern gate or from the carpark off Constitution Avenue.
Anglican Church of Saint John the Baptist, GPO Box 219, CANBERRA ACT 2601. Ph. 6248 8399 firstname.lastname@example.org
18 Mar 2020
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index