Cemetery 720 - Ravenswood

Ravenswood

Cemetery Road,

Ravenswood

QLD

4816

-20.111476

146.887276

Ravenswood Cemetery appears to have been in use since about 1870, the earliest legible inscription extant being dated 1872. According to the cemetery sign, it was established on 14 January 1875. The layout of the site suggests that it probably consisted of denominational portions although these are not indicated in any way. There is a small section of nine Chinese graves, in which only one broken headstone remains. The monuments are generally in good condition for age and legible.

Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane photographed the cemetery in November 2010 and prepared the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. The Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages and the Australian War Memorial online military rolls were consulted for additional information.

Peter says that he found the grounds in tidy condition. A sign at the site states that the cemetery is maintained by the Ravenswood Restoration Society, Dalrymple Shire Council (now Charters Towers Regional Council) and the Townsville & District Four Wheel Drive Club.

From Ravenswood, take the Burdekin Falls Dam Road south for 600m and turn right into Cemetery Road for 800m. The cemetery in on the left hand side of the road. Lat -20.111476, Long 146.887276

For further information, contact Charters Towers Regional Council, PO Box 189, Charters Towers QLD 4820; phone 07 4761 5300; email: mail@charterstowers.qld.gov.au

2010-12-17

2010-11-03

316

311

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index