Gracemere General Cemetery was established by the Gracemere Cemetery Trust on this site which it acquired late in the 19th century. A large notice board at the entrance provides a detailed plan of the cemetery and certain historical information. However, some of this apparently refers to an earlier cemetery, some distance out of town, that dates from circa 1860.
According to the information board, "Fitzroy Shire Council took over management of the cemetery in 1974, establishing it predominantly as a Lawn Cemetery from that time onwards. The old section (nearest Fisher Street) of the cemetery has a number of significant grave sites and most of the headstones are generally well preserved."
Christine Frater visited Gracemere Cemetery on 16 April 2008 and made digital images of every visible inscription. She found images in the monumental portion of cemetery dating from 1897 and in the lawn cemetery from 1983. The columbarium appears to have come into use in the 1970's. The whole site is maintained in excellent condition by Council.
Christine's images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the Queensland BDM online search facility and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
Gracemere Cemetery is located at the southern end of Fisher Street near its junction with Bland Street. Lat -23.444431, Long 150.455388
The cemetery is now administered by the Rockhampton Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 1860, Rockhampton Qld 4700; phone: 07 4934 8374; email: MemorialGardens@rrc.qld.gov.au
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index