Charleyong was an alluvial gold mining and agricultural settlement from about 1854 until the early 1900s near the Mongarlowe River. It was originally known as Taylor`s village and later variously Marlowe or Charleyong.
With the exhaustion of gold, Charleyong dwindled away. In the 1960s the Snowy Mountains Authority proposed construction of the Welcome Reef Dam on the Upper Shoalhaven River, just below Braidwood to supplement Sydney's water supplies. The Sydney Catchment Authority (SCA) procured over 31,000 hectares of land in the area of the proposed reservoir, however plans for the dam were shelved.
The site of Charleyong village and cemetery is within the SCA lands. The village was near the Charleyong Bridge (built 1901, -35.251500, 149.920485) and at its peak was the second largest settlement serving the Mongarlowe Gold Field. Charleyong included a post office, church (also serving as a school) and general store. Only remnants of the village survive (as of 2016) including some building stone-footings, building timbers and a fireplace.
The cemetery is small, 60m x 40m. As of 2016, remnants of a wooden gate and fence posts were in place with three burial mounds visible as well as some iron railings and grave stone footings. There were 51 burials recorded between 1864 and 1904.
In 2002 the SCA agreed to fund a cemetery memorial and in 2007, Palerang Council agreed to place the memorial in the Anglican section of the Braidwood Old General Cemetery.
* Braidwood Times, 22 Jan 2009
* Transcript of memorial plaque in Braidwood Old General Cemetery (Anglican Section)
* Statement of Heritage Impact: Charleyong Bridge Replacement (NGH Environmental Pty Ltd, Sydney, 2016)
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index