Prince Henry Hospital
Cape Banks Rd
The Coast Hospital was established in 1881 to treat Smallpox patients. It was subsequently used to treat other diseases such as Bubonic Plague, diptheria, tuberculosis, measles, influenza and scarlet fever. The hospital was renamed Prince Henry Hospital in 1934.
Those who died at the hospital were buried in this cemetery. There were over 2,000 burials however there are only around 90 headstones remaining. There are inscriptions from 1894 - 1952.
The area is well maintained and in good condition with little sign of vandalism.
Photographed and transcribed by Peter Olsen in mid 2014.
Between Cape Banks Rd and the ocean, just north of the rifle range and helicopter base.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index