Montalbion New Cemetery
Address: Irvinebank - Petford Road, Irvinebank 4872 QLD
Montalbion New Cemetery is the second of two tiny cemeteries that serviced the erstwhile township of Montalbion in the Atherton Tablelands of North Queensland. Established following the discovery of silver and lead in the 1880s, the town flourished until around 1890 before completely fading away soon after the turn of the 20th century. This unfenced site has only one surviving headstone, which is protected by steel posts and pipe rail around it.
Peter Patterson-Kane visited and photographed the cemetery and its sole marker in July 2011. He says that this new cemetery was established in the 1890s because the ground at the nearby Pioneer Cemetery was regarded as too hard to dig. He adds that photographs taken of the new cemetery in 1900 show several other markers existed at that time. What happened to them is unknown.
Peter's images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery, which has been compiled with reference to the Queensland births; deaths and marriages online search facility for additional information.
How to find it
Montalbion New Cemetery is located on “Montalbion Station” Irvinebank. The locality of Montalbion is 8km west of Irvinebank via the Herberton-Petford Road. The New Cemetery in on the Irvinebank–Petford Road, about 1.2km south of the Pioneer Cemetery. Latitude -17. 412706, Long 145.163147
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 1
The listing was last updated on 2011-07-24
The listing was complete as at 2011-07-21
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.