Loreto Normanhurst Cemetery
Also known as Loreto Bushland.
Address: Pennant Hills Road, Normanhurst 2076 NSW
Loreto Bushland Cemetery contains the graves of 45 members of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Founded in 1897 by Mother Gonzaga Barry, the school was designed to provide boarding facilities for country girls. Today, the school has grown to be a large day and boarding school. The small cemetery is in a delightful bushland setting at the rear of the school. It is bounded by a low stone perimeter wall, is neat and simple and all markers are of similar design.
Michael Brookhouse visited the cemetery in May 2011 and, with the kind assistance of Property Manager, Mr Gary Watman, made a digital image of every inscription. Mick's pictures may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. The additional biographical information on that list was sourced with permission from Sr Theresa Elliott's book, "Resting Beneath the Rainbow" (2007) illustrated by Annie Joseph, copies of which are available from Loreto Normanhurst.
How to find it
Loreto Bushland Cemetery is situated in a rare Turpentine and Iron Bark forest, classified by the National Trust, at the rear of Loreto Catholic School for Girls in Pennant Hills Road, Normanhurst. Lat -33.728132, Long 151.097147
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 45
The listing was last updated on 2011-07-22
The listing was complete as at 2011-05-21
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.