Charters Towers Pioneer Cemetery
Address: West Street, Charters Towers 4820 QLD
Charters Towers Pioneer Cemetery covers an area of about 5 hectares on the western side of town. It was in use from 1872 to 1895, at which time the burial plots were exhausted and a new cemetery opened on the northern outskirts of town. The Pioneer Cemetery is believed to contain some 5,000 graves, although a mere 343 inscriptions are to be found today.
It is unfortunate that only a minority of the monuments remain intact and upright, the others fallen and in various stages of disintegration. The strong impression is that vandals have had a field day in this historic place.
Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited and photographed the cemetery and its inscriptions in November 2010. Peter comments on the unusual fence posts around the perimeter and that a stile is provided beside the entrance gate. There is considerable information posted on site about the history of the cemetery and notable graves, as well as a graphical display of the original portions.
Peter's images may be viewed from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. The Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages have been consulted for additional information.
How to find it
Cemetery Road, which becomes West Street, runs south-east off the Flinders Highway at Queenton. Lat -20.085089, Long 146.269416
For further information, contact Charters Towers Regional Council, PO Box 189, Charters Towers QLD 4820; phone 07 4761 5300; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 343
The listing was last updated on 2010-12-14
The listing was complete as at 2010-11-03
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.