Diamantina Development Road,
Boulia Cemetery occupies about 2 hectares and contains inscriptions dating from 1883 to the present day. Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited the site in September 2010. Peter says that the grounds are fully fenced, have trees planted on three sides and are in neat condition. Information displayed at the cemetery states:
"Boulia Cemetery's Board of Trustees was appointed in 1899. About eighty years later complaints were made about the neglect of the area. It was then realised that the Trustees had all died! Council took over the task. Cemetery records were destroyed in a fire in 1951. Names of many of the deceased were lost but their stories linger as tributes to their efforts. Boulia Cemetery has about 200 identifiable graves, but only 163 have legible headstones.. ."
It is not known when this information was posted but Peter Patterson-Kane, who is sure that he photographed every inscription, found only 116 in 2010. His pictures may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled by Peter and Karen from their images and notes and with reference to the Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
Boulia Cemetery is 2km from town on the right hand side of Diamentina Development Road. Lat -22.899034, Long 139.897626
For further information, contact Boulia Shire Council, Herbert Street, Boulia; phone 07 4746 3188; email: email@example.com
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index