Walcha Catholic Cemetery
Address: Fitzroy Street, Walcha 2354 NSW
Walcha Catholic Cemetery appears to have been established in the mid 19th century, the earliest inscriptions extant being 1859, and it is still in use. The cemetery was surveyed and photographed for Australian Cemeteries Index during the first half of 2010. We found the monuments generally in good order and legible, although several of the older stones have fallen and broken and others are weathered and covered in lichen and so not easy to read. The grounds are maintained in good condition by Walcha Council, although rabbits were obviously a problem at the time the cemetery was surveyed.
The images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled from the images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
How to find it
Fitzroy street runs east, turning south, off the Oxley Highway at the eastern end of town. The cemetery is on the left hand side of the street, 200m from the highway. Lat -30.987136, Long 151.60593
Walcha is within the Catholic Diocese of Armidale. For historic information, contact the Chancery Office, PO Box 93 Armidale 2350; phone 02 6772 8311. The cemetery is managed by Walcha Council. For further burial information, contact Council at PO Box 2, Walcha NSW 2354; phone o2 6774 2500; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 449
The number of inscriptions with headstone image(s) is 447
The listing was last updated on 2010-10-17
The listing was complete as at 2010-06-30
Most Common SurnamesSort by name
Updating this information
If you have any suggestions for additions or corrections to this information, please contact Rob McDonell