Although Mendooran is described as the oldest town on the Castlereagh, its general cemetery appears to be little more than 100 years old. The earliest memorial we found was dated 1894. The site is obviously divided into denominational portions but they are not marked and neither are the rows. A small area for a lawn cemetery has been provided but there is only one marked grave so far. A small cenotaph has recently been erected in the grounds.
The road within the cemetery is sealed and there is ample parking but no other facilities. We saw no evidence of vandalism. On both occasions when we visited, the grounds were in tidy condition with the grass cut and weeds controlled.
Our first to Mendooran Cemetery was on 9 August 2002 when we made digital images and notes of every visible inscription. We fully updated this record on 11 November 2005. In compiling the list of inscriptions, we referred to the NSW indexes of births, deaths and marriages and to the World War 1 and World War 2 Nominal Rolls for further information.
From the village, take the Dubbo Road for 500m. The cemetery is on the eastern (left hand) side of the road just past the turnoff to Gilgandra.
The cemetery is administered and maintained by the Warrumbungle Shire Council. Contact Council at PO Box 191, Coonabarabran NSW 2357; phone 02 6849 2000; email: email@example.com
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery