Gloucester General Cemetery
Address: Cemetery Road, Gloucester 2422 NSW
Gloucester General Cemetery occupies a large sloping site at the end of Cemetery Road. The monumental section is laid out in denominational portions that include Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian and Undenominational. The portions are clearly defined but no row or grave numbering is visible. Earliest inscriptions date from 1902. Almost all the headstones are intact and legible but lichen growth on some of the granite stones makes them difficult to decipher.
The modern lawn cemetery dates from around 1970 and includes four Columbarium walls as well as a small memorial garden dedicated to past Quota Club members. The whole cemetery is maintained in good condition by Gloucester Shire Council and town water and toilet facilities are provided on the site.
Digital images of all visible inscriptions were taken by Ray Cork during November 2009. His images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray compiled that list from his images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
How to find it
From the town centre take Church St (Bucketts Way) south for approx 2km. Turn left into Cemetery Rd from where it is 1.1km to the cemetery.
Gloucester General Cemetery is administered by Gloucester Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 11, Gloucester, NSW, 2422; phone 02 6538 5250; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 2748
The listing was last updated on 2009-11-30
The listing was complete as at 2010-01-17
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.