Address: Thornborough Road, Thornborough QLD Inscriptions for Thornborough Cemetery
Thornborough Cemetery served the principal town on the Hodgkinson Goldfield in the late 19th century with a population of around 1500 in 1880. The cemetery occupies a relatively substantial area and contains 23 standing and one fallen stones bearing dates from 1879 to 1962. The monuments are well preserved and the inscriptions all legible. An illustrated account of the goldfield's discovery and history (see image above) provides some interesting information.
Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited Thornborough Cemetery in September 2009 and made digital images and notes of all visible inscriptions. Their images may downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled from the images and with reference to the Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
Thornborough is one of the many cemeteries in the region that has benefited for many years from the annual maintenance of the Cairns Four Wheel Drive Club Inc.
How to find it
Thornborough is 28km north of Dimbulah in northern Queensland. The Thornborough Cemetery is about 0.5km south-west of the old township and 0.7km beyond the turn off to Thornborough when travelling north towards Mt Mulligan. It is on the right hand side of the road.
Thornborough Cemetery is controlled by the Tablelands Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 573 Atherton Qld 4883; phone: 1300 362 242; email: email@example.com
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 40
The number of headstone images is 39
The listing was last updated on 2009-11-04
The listing was complete as at 2009-09-30
Most Common SurnamesSort by name
View Larger Map
Updating this information
If you have any suggestions for additions or corrections to this information, please contact Peter Olsen.