310 Herberton Road,
Atherton Pioneer Cemetery is located in what is now Samuel Dansie Park. An information sign at the entrance informs that this area "was designated for cemetery purposes on 10 April 1897 and burials were carried out until 1927." The area has been maintained in good order and picnic facilities have been provided in the park.
Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited Atherton Pioneer Cemetery in September 2009 and made notes and digital images of all visible inscriptions. They found memorials dating from as early as 1884. Some of the stones appear to have been vandalised at some stage for a number have been repaired and remounted. The inscriptions are generally clear and legible.
Peter and Karen's images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled from their images and with reference to the Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military roll for World War 1 for additional information
From Atherton township, take the Herberton Road south for 3.2km to the Atherton Waste Transfer Station. Turn right (west) into Sanitation Road for 150km to the cemetery entrance. Lat -17.293978 Long 145.471601
Atherton Pioneer Cemetery and Dansie Park are maintained by the Tablelands Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 573 Atherton Qld 4883; phone: 1300 362 242; email: email@example.com
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index