Stannary Hills Cemetery
Address: Stannary Hills Road, Irvinebank 4887 QLD
The Pioneer cemetery of Stannary Hills in far north Queensland was in use from 1902 to 1931. The cemetery has been closed for nearly 80 years and there are very few remaining headstones. However in recent years, the cemetery has been cleaned up and restored. This restoration and maintenence work was carried out by Blue McAlister and Bill Alison with the aid of the Innisfail & Tablelands Four Wheel Drive Club.
A plaque has been mounted that lists all known burials at this site during the period the cemetery was in operation. The research for this project was undertaken by members of the Eacham Historical Society Graves Committee.
According to the information given on this plaque, Stannary Hills was a busy tin-mining centre between the 1880s and 1950s. Many of those buried here were miners and their families. There is no town at Stannary Hills today.
Peter Patterson-Kane visited Stannary Hills Cemetery in August 2009 and made digital images of the few headstones and the plaque listing the known burials that have taken place. Peter's images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. In compiling that list, reference was made to the Queensland online indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
How to find it
Stannary Hills Cemetery is located on Stannary Hills Road, near its junction with Stannary Hills Dam Road, 15km north of Irvinebank.
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 64
The listing was last updated on 2009-09-02
The listing was complete as at 2009-08-15
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.