Miles General Cemetery
Address: Hookswood Road, Miles 4415 QLD
The Miles General Cemetery is Divided into four portions - Anglican, Catholic, Other Denominations and Lawn. A large plan of the cemetery layout is exhibited at the entrance (see image above).
John Arthur visited and photographed the cemetery in June 2007. He found inscriptions dating from 1912; one earlier headstone, dated 1899, was probably relocated here from the old cemetery. There is a significant number of unmarked graves. All portions have well marked rows. John says that the cemetery is very well maintained by the Murilla Shire Council and there is very little evidence of vandalism.
The Lawn cemetery dates from the 1950s. It contains almost 400 sites with plenty of room for expansion. A columbarium displays plaques from the 1960s.
John's images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the Queensland BDM online search facility and to the AWM online military rolls for additional information.
How to find it
Miles Cemetery is in Hookswood Road, which runs parallel to and about 1.5km north of the Warrego Highway.
Miles General Cemetery is now administered by the Dalby Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 551, Dalby QLD 4405; phone 07 4672 1100; email: email@example.com
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 1407
The listing was last updated on 2008-07-15
The listing was complete as at 2007-06-30
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.