This early cemetery contains inscriptions dating from 1839. As is to be expected, a significant proportion of the monuments are sandstone. Many and beautiful are their designs and engravings; some are in excellent condition whilst others are now difficult to read because of erosion, flaking and damage. Of note is the considerable number of inscriptions that record drownings, particularly of seamen from various vessels. The Catholic portion reflects the high rate of Irish immigrants to settle in the area.
The cemetery is laid out in denominational portions of Anglican, Catholic, Methodist and Presbyterian. A modern columbarium has been erected in the Methodist portion. It appears to have come into use around 1980 and now contains about 100 plaques.
Ruth King visited the cemetery on a number of occasions during 2007 and made a digital record of every visible inscription. Her images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the NSW BDM indices and to the AWM military rolls for additional information.
From Morpeth, head west on Swan street, turn left into Tank Street and follow it for 0.9km to Butchers Lane on the left. The cemetery straddles Butchers Lane.
The Morpeth General Cemetery is administered by the Maitland City Council. For further information, contact Council at 285-287 High Street (PO Box 220), Maitland NSW 2320; phone: (02) 4934 9700; email: email@example.com
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery