Wesley Vale Uniting Church New Cemetery
Address: Port Sorell Road, Wesley Vale 7307 TAS
The Methodist (now the Uniting) Church at Wesley Vale has conducted a cemetery since at least 1870. When the original cemetery at the church was closed, this new cemetery was opened in 1938 on ground donated by the Dick Family on the eastern outskirts of the town. It is referred to as the "New" or "Hill Top" Cemetery.
In 2006, the new cemetery was photographed as a project undertaken by the students in Grade 5/6 at the Wesley Vale Primary School. All the headstones were transcribed and the pictures and data compiled into a Power Point presentation. The results are of a very high standard and the students are to be congratulated on the fine result they achieved.
This material has been kindly provided by Mr Keith Wools-Cobb of the Wesley Vale Uniting Church. The images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. In compiling that list, additional information has been obtained by reference to the Tasmanian Pioneer Index of Births, Deaths and Marriages and also to the Nominal Roll of WW2 held by the Australian War Memorial.
How to find it
The township of Wesley Vale is about half way between Devonport and Port Sorell, on the Port Sorell road. The “Hill Top” or New Cemetery is located just beyond the eastern boundary of the township.
The Wesley Vale Cemetery is administered by the Uniting Church Cemetery Trust. For further information, contact the Co-ordinator, 1 Bluewater Cres., Shearwater Tas 7307
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 85
The listing was last updated on 2008-03-27
The listing was complete as at 2008-02-29
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.