The cemetery attached to the historic Anglican Church of St Thomas at O'Connell contains memorials as early as 1835, when Eliza Cordelia Walker, wife of the Rev W Walker, died on 6 July of that year. Amongst other inscriptions of note are for two members of the Durack family - Lawrence's wife, Jane, and their son John who died in 1885 and 1886 respectively.
The monuments are generally in good order and several that had previously fallen and broken have been repaired and re-erected. On the occasion of our visit in November 2006, however, the Fellows headstone had fallen face down and broken. We found the grounds in reasonable condition. The grass had been cut but there were several rabbit burrows to be avoided.
We made digital images and notes of all visible inscriptions and referred to the NSW indexes of births, deaths and marriages for further information.
O'Connell is a village between Bathurst and Oberon. At O'Connell, take Beaconsfield Road for 500m to the cemetery, which is on the left hand side of the road behind St Thomas' Anglican Church.
Enquiries regarding the cemetery should be directed to the Anglican Diocesan Office at Bathurst NSW.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index