East Maitland Anglican Cemetery
Also known as Glebe.
Address: George Street, East Maitland 2323 NSW
St Peter's Anglican Cemetery at East Maitland, usually known as the Glebe Cemetery, is reputed to be one of the the oldest cemeteries in the Hunter Region. Already in use for about ten years, the burial ground was consecrated on St Peterís Day 1843, when Bishop Broughton performed the ceremony in a tent erected on the ground.
It is said that, to avoid fording the creek through the Glebe, the hearse used to follow a bush track through Rathluba, from the Buchanan Road, but the route has now been engulfed by a housing estate. Because of its lonely and isolated position on the hill below the Rathluba property, the burial ground became overgrown and ruined. It has obviously suffered greatly over the years from both neglect and vandalism.
In 1994, title to the cemetery was transferred by the Anglican Church Trustees to the Maitland City Council. In 2000, a conservation management plan was developed and an arrangement entered into between Council and the University of New England to undertake a detailed archaeological investigation of the site as the first stage in its restoration. The progress of the work is displayed on the website "Death of a Cemetery" (http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~pgrave/StPeters/intro.htm).
The data and images displayed here were provided by Robert Tozer, who visited the cemetery in January 2000, and the list compiled by Roma Waldron. Images of the inscriptions may be viewed and downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery.
Further information is available from Maitland City Council. Contact Council at 285-287 High Street (PO Box 220), Maitland NSW 2320; phone: (02) 4934 9700; email: email@example.com
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 324
The listing was last updated on 2006-09-10
The listing was complete as at 2006-09-10
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.