Oxley Island Cemetery
Address: Oxley Island & Ferry Roads, Oxley Island 2430 NSW
According to the Manning Valley Historical Society, this cemetery dates from 1878, with the first recorded burial being that of a one year old child in 1884. St Barnabas' Anglican Church was built on land adjoining the cemetery in 1922 but this was subsequently sold and is now a private residence.
Information on this cemetery has been provided by David Freeman, to whom we are most grateful. Paul Fitzgerald visited Oxley Island in April 2008 and made digital images of all visible inscriptions. Jennifer Bolton has kindly provided a number that she has taken in pursuit of her own research for which we also express our thanks.
Pauls' and Jennifer's images may be downloaded at the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the NSW BDM online search facility and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
How to find it
Oxley Island is one of the larger islands in the estuary of the Manning River, east of Taree. From Taree, take the Old Bar Road to its junction with Manning Point Road and follow that to Oxley Island Road.
Administration of this cemetery is now the responsibility of the Greater Taree City Council. For further information, contact Council at Administration Centre, 2 Pulteney Street (PO Box 482), Taree NSW 2430; phone (02) 6592 5399; email: email@example.com
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 296
The listing was last updated on 2007-04-21
The listing was complete as at 2007-03-13
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.